The importance of training in social science research methodology cannot be over-emphasized. Just as the need for research on various social phenomena, issues and problems is being increasingly felt, the need for sound training in social research methodology is also being simultaneously realized. Research Problems require appropriate design and skills of data generation, data processing and statistical analysis. A good research needs not merely conceptual capabilities, but also a thorough command over methodological strategies and techniques, including basic knowledge of computers and statistical packages.
Quite often, many potential researchers are handicapped due to lack of research skills. Sound expertise and versatility in social science research methodology enable a researcher to undertake, with confidence, research on different issues and problems, which require appropriate designs and techniques.
Who Should Apply
Anyone concerned to develop advanced research skills, including consultants, university and public administration staffs, and NGO and trade union research officers. The normal minimum requirement is an honours degree in a social science subject. For students with significant, relevant work experience, an ordinary bachelor's degree may suffice.
- Any graduate with minimum 50% from recognized university will be eligible for the admission to the diploma course. A person who is already enrolled for any other course in the university will also be eligible to get admission to this course. A person who is working in any research institute, NGO or in any organization will also be considered for admission.
- Candidate will be admitted on the basis of scrutiny of his/ her application forms and personal interview, if necessary.
- Preference will be given to postgraduate students in Social Sciences and those who are pursuing research.
- On Successful completion of core courses consisting of papers 5 papers and a dissertation, P G Diploma in Research Methodology will be awarded.
- Exemptions from regularly attending classes in some papers will be considered on the basis of educational qualifications and background of the student in relevant subjects.
- A candidate is also permitted to pursue the course externally.
Duration of the Programme:
- P G Diploma in Research Methodology will be one year, two-semester programme.
- First semester will consist of content courses of three papers. The first semester will consist of 16-weeks duration.
- Total teaching hours for taught course will be 40 hours for each paper. Details for each paper are given in the syllabus. The student will also have to do self study as part of training of the course. The main objective of the course is to prepare a student for independent research work.
- The students are required to write dissertation in second semester. The students will be given 6 months to submit dissertation after the completion of first semester examination.
Medium of Instruction: English
Intake:30 (thirty) Regular, 30(thirty) External.
||Research Process and Philosophical Foundations